[Coco] VI Editor

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Feb 20 01:00:55 EST 2018

I really, really would like to have a nice basic programmer's editor for
OS9.  I have seen nothing yet that fits the bill for me. Currently, I'm
working on a 6809-based project in assembler and my source file is about
166k.  The binary itself is only a little over 20,000 bytes but the
source is around 9,000 lines.  I know I could break it up into chunks
but, for me, it's really nice to be able to edit it all as one big file.

  Since the mid 80s I have used a DOS-based editor called Norton Editor
which is just great.  The only problem is that it runs under DOS or a
DOS box in windows.  It will handle very large files.  I don't know how
large because I've not hit the limit yet.  There is a learning curve
with it as it requires that you use certain key combinations for certain
operations but it's not too bad.  I've used VI, emacs, nano, etc. but,
to date, Norton Editor is the best in my mind.  For me as a programmer
the most important functions are search, search and replace, block move,
block copy, block delete, delete line, and perhaps a little less
importantly, a split-screen mode where you can have two files open and
bounce back and forth and even copy data from one file to the other.

So for now I'm stuck with using a Windows machine with a DOS box running
Norton Editor, assembling the code with my CSC assembler and then
uploading the resulting S-record file via a serial port to my target.  I
would love to have a little portable NitrOS9 notebook computer with
which I could do the same thing.  Unfortunately, having a good
programmer's editor is what has kept that from happening.  I started on
a project some months ago for an OS9 text editor that would use a
ramdisk or allocated blocks of memory to store/manipulate the file but
it is a rather large endeavor and has unfortunately fallen by the
wayside for now.  One of these days....

Dave