[Coco] VI Editor

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Feb 19 23:54:25 EST 2018

On Monday 19 February 2018 20:26:59 Mark McDougall wrote:

> On 20/02/2018 10:00 AM, phil pt wrote:
> > Does anyone know the VI commands to move the cursor to the start
> > mark a block then move the cursor down and mark the end block and
> > copy & past it in the file.  checked the internet and I can not find
> > any clear steps on how to do it?
>
> I think you need to learn the secret handshake first, before you start
> using VI (or emacs)...
>
> Regards,

The vi (now vim on my machines) made from TSEdit has no relationship to
vi/vim on the *nixes other than being a 2 mode utility like vi/vim. So
see the TSEdit manual for all the details. It is IMO, the best editor we
have for the coco's because as an editor, it can run with a buffer of
#56k, meaning it is less than 8k in total size. The original patch
changed its name to vi, but in recent nitros9, vi has been claimed for a
vtype window device. So you'll need to use dEd to extend its name to
vim, with bit d7 set in the m character, but zeroed in the i character.
The basic editor is the same regardless, so see the TSEdit docs for how
to run it to its greatest effect.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)