[Coco] C VS Basic Coco

Ty Sopko ty.sopko at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 18:07:38 EST 2018

Hi Salvador,

I will throw my hat into the ring, but not to debate merits of languages -- you are correct, it would be endless.  I feel it is an unfair comparison if you do not compare generational differences.

I use a modern flavor of BASIC (PowerBASIC or PB) for most needs, professional and otherwise.  It in no way resembles CoCo BASIC.  My startup has a simulator written in it that, if printed, fills 800+ pages.  Sorry for the odd metric, it is the only one I have as it is the easiest to convey to investors.  Bottom line -- PB scales.

It is a wonderful sort of hybrid -- somewhere between C, C++, and C# but with the flexibility of BASIC.

C, on the other hand, has not changed much since K&R.  (For the record, I use C99 and C11 on the job and off.  PB is still my first choice for most tasks.)

Ty