[Coco] Graphics on NitrOS9 Level 1 v3.3.0 (CoCo 1)

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 18:39:07 EST 2018

Took me a while to re-gain speed on my CoCo doings but here it goes.

Following Curtis's idea of sending the GFX commands from the shell I wrote
the following routine:

display 0F 00 05
display 13
display 7
display 15 80 60
display 7
display 1A 14
display 7
display 12

Entered each DISPLAY command as a separate line for clarity, the 7 codes in
there just to provide an audio cue of each stage of the graphics commands
executing.

DISPLAY 0F sets the 256x192 mode, buff on black color ser - per OS9L1v2
Addendum, command is run by CCIO, GRFO not needed
DISPLAY 13 clears the screen, run by CCIO
DISPLAY 15 sets the graphics cursor to dec 128,96 (center or screen), run
by CCIO
DISPLAY 1A draws a circle (buff) at graphics cursor location with a radius
of dec 20 - run by GRFO
DISPLAY 12 ends graphics and returns the memory to OS9

This routine bombed with NitrOS9 Level 1 v3.2.8 (6809), I get the first two
beeps confirming the Graphics Mode is set and the screen cleared with the
graphics cursor set at the center, but upon the CIRCLE (1A) command the
system hangs and only a hard reset will return control of it. Routine run
perfectly fine under stock OS9 Level 1 v2

What follows next is above my paycheck level, but from the little I can
gather is that there is a bug in NitrOS9 Level 1 - my shenanigans with GFX
under BASIC09 seem to stem from something not correctly ported over from
stock OS9 L1 into NitrOS9 L1.

Again, OS9 L1 v2 split some of the graphics functions in CCIO into a module
named GRFO; there is no GRFO module under NitrOS9 L1 but there is a GRFDRV
in there... I wonder if that's the one not being called upon properly...
just guessing here.

My bet is that if this gets fixed, the GFX problem reported earlier under
Basic09 will get squished as well :-)

-- RP