[Coco] Coco3 triple monitor setup

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Dec 28 16:19:05 EST 2018

On Friday 28 December 2018 15:28:58 L. Curtis Boyle wrote:

> Yes.

Most packs had an rca jack for composite outputs, but the monitor I had
was ttl, so I rigged a db9 for ttl outputs, giving much less wibbles.
Then I modified the chip inits in the driver to give a 25 line screen
and a much bigger used area. Only a slight loss of HV because that
resulted in an h-synch rate in the 18.5 kilohertz area. The loss of High
Voltage also made the pix bigger.  Each little bit helped.  A slower
video clock crystal would have been even better, but I was running what
I brung. And it worked well. Generally speaking , you can run the h
sweep faster, but not slower than its designed for. Slower starts to
saturate the iron in the hv transformer, and even a microsecond too long
opens the door to let the smoke clear. And we all know it doesn't work
anymore after you've let the smoke out...

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Dec 28, 2018, at 11:56 AM, rietveld rietveld
> > <rietveldh at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > How did that work?   Was there a seperate display hookup on the pak?

yes.

> > Sent from my BlackBerry

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)