[Coco] OS-9 C was Re: 3rdPart Editor

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 18 13:00:41 EST 2018

On 12/18/18 12:38 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Bill, the C3 repo on toolshed was someone's effort to take the sources from some of the latest compiler components and build them on Linux as a crosscompiler. I don't think anything there was meant to build or run on a Coco...

Well, the sources for that makefile have #IFDEFs for OS9,  And
to bring, at least, this piece to an end, it compiled and built
just fine on the COCO and appears to work.  So, with that I
will start generating makefiles for the various projects I will
be working on in case others would like to have a better system
for actually doing their development under OS9.

> Ok, here's a rundown...
>
> Toolshed/C3 - attempt at a C cross compiler

By attempt, do you mean it can't be done or the work just stopped?

> Nitros9/3rdparty/packages/c_compiler - mostly the old tandy stuff, with the exception of "c.comp" & the Kreider clib
>
> Various utilities on RTSI under "prog", "languages" & "utilites - this where the various enhancements are found.
>
> Of course the original disks can be found in the Color Computer Archives (I think)

I  have had the original disks since Radio Shack released the
product.  I started with Level 1 (also upon its release as I
was never really interested in their BASIC) and got Level 2
as soon as it was released.  It's a perfectly good compiler
once you accept the limitations which are more of the COCO
than the software.  By that time OS9 had been around for a
while and was a successful product.

As for the "make" that now distributes with the C Compiler, it
is either very buggy or, possibly, using "makefiles" that have
no similarity to other makefiles.  Either way, there is an
acceptable alternative and I would hope no one else even tries
to use that one.

> My C setup is:
>
> TK's makercr (custom frontend by Mike Knudsen)
> c.prepĀ  (original Tandy)c.compĀ  (the one from the nitros9 repo)
> CNoY (custom masseuse by Mike Knudsen)
> c.opt (original Tandy)RMARLink
> touch
>
> For libraries, I use:
>
> clib.l & clibt.l by Carl Kreider
> cgfx7 by Mike Sweet
>
>   I use this compiler setup in everything I do in OS9 C.

As will I.

bill