[Coco] Fd-502 almost working.

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Dec 11 09:08:22 EST 2018

Walter,

Even if your controller and drive are perfect, unless you make changes to Disk Basic and ensure the
NitrOS-9 drive descriptors are as required, you will not be able to read the back side of a disk.

For example, in Disk Basic 1.1 there is a drive table at $D89D-$D8A0: 1,2,4,$40 . With these values,
only one side of a disk can be read. If you want to read both sides of each drive 0 & 1, the table
must be changed to 1,2,$41,$42. Drives 2 & 3 become the back sides of drives 0 and 1.

  Now if you are using HDBDOS the double side format probably is used. With a standard Coco disk
ROM, you will have to POKE the double side values into the table.
  NitrOS-9 in rb1773desc.asm has "Sides set 1". But you also have the dmode option of setting
"sid = #" where # can be 1 or 2. This does not force a two sided read but will permit it if the disk
LSN0 indicates a double sided disk.
  The command Format permits you to select creating a 1 or 2 sided disk.

Robert