[Coco] Coco and airport xray

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Sat Apr 7 17:42:59 EDT 2018

I read and article by Dr. Marty Goodman once that stated that EPROMS
could be erased with xrays.  I think he mentioned that this could be
used as a way to erase a one-time programmable EPROM which normally
cannot be erased since it has no window.  I also assume that, being a
doctor, he had access to equipment that allowed him to test/try this.
But I think the strength and exposure time of airport xray machines
would probably not be enough to cause a problem.  With UV erasable
EPROMs it takes somewhere around 10-15 minutes exposure to a fairly
strong UV light to erase the EPROM.  I experimented with using direct
sunlight to erase an EPROM and it took some weeks of exposure during the
summertime when UV exposure is higher to erase the EPROM.

As a side note, many people including myself, regularly fly with
notebook computers and we've never had problems (that I know of) with
floppies, EPROMs, or any of the internal electrical components of the
computer.

Dave