[Coco] 16/32 bit 6809 derivative

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Mon Sep 25 18:03:35 EDT 2017

Francis Swygert wrote:
>  ... It's not like the 6809 was that popular ...

That's a good point. And you may very well be (and probably are) right. At the timeframe we are talking about, the Z80 may have been the most popular CPU (due to price) ... but that is just a guess.

> My understanding was that there was some backwards compatibility on the
> source code level, with just a few tweaks required to 6809 source to
> compile on a 68K processor

Hmm… perhaps you’re thinking 6800 -> 6809.  From what I have seen, 68k assembly language source is sufficiently different from 6809 that it would require a complete translation (transcoding) of source.

James