[Coco] 26-3022 Disk Controller Question

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sun Sep 3 02:21:05 EDT 2017

Now that I recollect further, Gene, I recall that I wasn't the slightest
concerned about and only vaguely even aware at the time I needed to replace
my 1793 chip that the 1793 required 12 volts rather than 5.  Back then,
only the CoCo 1 existed, and only the initial 26-3022 controller, so the
distinction wasn't relevant at all to me.  I think I actually ordered the
WD1793 from someplace like Jameco and unexpectedly received the Fujitsu
8877A instead, which served as an adequate replacement, so I had no
complaints.

It was only a couple of years later, after I acquired a CoCo 2, that I
found my 26-3022 controller worked just fine with it, and wondered what the
fuss was about. After a bit of thought, I remembered that I had replaced
the controller chip a couple of years before with the Fujitsu version and
went "aha!"

Art