[Coco] (no subject)

Paul Shoemaker paulfe3 at swbell.net
Fri Oct 20 15:05:23 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I started this thread on Facebook before, but I think it will be better to finish it here.

I recently acquired a 26-3134A Korean 16K Color BASIC CoCo 2 with a #20261044 circuit board that I'd like to upgrade.  I've already upgraded the memory to 64K with some spare RAM chips I had (and I soldered the jumper at J6).  I'd next like to add extended color basic. I've purchased a programmer from eBay and have some 27128 eproms on the way as well.  This is the model of CoCo 2 which introduced a single 28-pin ROM socket.  I understand I need to replace the existing 24 pin ROM in that socket with a programmed 27128 EPROM, and also solder a few jumpers (J1 through J5).

My question is about burning the ROM bin file onto the EPROM.  Since this single EPROM will contain both Color Basic 1.3 (8K) and ECB 1.1 (another 8K), my reasonable deductive skills tell me the bin file should be 16K in length.  There are several ROM bin files available in the archive.  Most are the individual 8K ones...  color basic, ECB and disk basic all separate.  Should I grab the ECB1.1 and CB1.3 individual 8K bin files and just concatenate them together?  Or is there a 16K combined ROM bin file out there already I should use instead?

If by chance someone can point me to a step by step guide, that would also be outstanding.  I bought several EPROMs fully expecting to mess up on a couple before getting this figured out, but it also nice to do things right the first time with some help from one's friends.

Thanks in advance!

-Paul