[Coco] what kind of drives are these?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Oct 17 23:55:27 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 17 October 2017 23:30:18 Steve C. wrote:

> Looks like Panasonic JU475's - perhaps - there were a number of
> different colored bezels, and led colors. They don't seem to fit the
> housing well enough to be the original Tandon 360k's.

If they are JU475's, those are well built, long lasting drives, and IIRC,
they are dshd drives, good for 720k when being run by os9. 80 track
drives IOW. And can step at 3ms in a pc with the right driver if my
memory is correct, very quiet for long seeks, they just glided, without
much of the step at a time buzz. Os9's max step rate was 6ms so the
coco's ran them a bit louder.

> I think the computer and floppies are probably worth ~$125, so I
> wonder whether the ide interface (and it looks like it has some
> multipack functionality,) is worth the extra $. Oh, and the MC10 and
> peripherals add to the equation, making it -kinda- a good deal,
> assuming shipping is reasonable.
>
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 7:18 PM, Bruce W. Calkins
> <brucewcalkins at charter.net
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I have used many different colored drives on my CoCos  Most
> > manufacturers used different colored plastic parts with no change in
> > model numbers.  The CoCo used the same interface as IBM and most
> > other computers, so color of the drives was not an issue.
> >
> > Bruce W.
> >
> > On 10/17/2017 07:11 PM, Rietveld Rietveld wrote:
> >> I meant disk drives.   I recognize the glenside I have one. I have
> >> never seen white drives for the Coco.
> >
> > --

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)