[Coco] A New CoCo Forum, just what we need?

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Tue Oct 17 12:46:38 EDT 2017

Not for nothing other than relevance to the topic of forum challenges,
there was a posting on the AtariAge forums today about the Digital Press
forums being down (or, more precisely, everything but the forums), which
led me to this topic on Digital Press:
https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?175838-Main-DP-Sites-are-Temporarily-Unavailable

Comments 8 - 14 in that topic seem to well capture some of the challenges I
was alluding to earlier, including the general disinterest in forums that
started happening years ago (much to my personal disappointment) and then
trying to maintain them, etc. It's pretty fascinating stuff in my opinion,
particularly since with my own site, Armchair Arcade, which has been around
since 2003, I've gone through many revisions and re-imaginings to evolve
with the changing times as well (and even my current format, which is
strictly blog-based, is rather passe' these days, but at least serves my
specific needs). I find it terribly interesting how even our core
communities can turn off on something particularly useful. I suppose in the
CoCo community's case, however, a lot of it had to do with the inconsistent
status of the CoCo3.com forums. I've seen other, even major, communities
become dispersed for that same reason, since you obviously lose people with
each time it goes offline and/or changes ownership. After enough times
there's just no getting the same audience back since they've moved onto and
become comfortable with other things.

As much as I love the format, the only forums I regularly visit now are the
ones at AtariAge, so I guess I'm as guilty as anyone in their general
downfall. That (AtariAge) generally has the right mix of personalities for
my current temperament/tolerance for things (some of the other
platform-specific forums are very click-ish, which I find off-putting) and
better suits my "all platforms" interests.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and