[Coco] A New CoCo Forum, just what we need?

Steve Strowbridge ogsteviestrow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 09:17:21 EDT 2017

Lots of great input, and all of it is appreciated.

When it comes to how to communicate on a given topic, I don't think there
is a single best answer or solution, and, at the end of the day, people are
going to do what they want to do, and not do what they don't want to do.
Old habits die hard, and most old dogs aren't interested in any new
tricks.   Also many people have the benefit of experience with past
attempts that perhaps didn't work.

As it's been mentioned, we already have this list, the Facebook group, then
there's the IRC channel, which I've never visited, I understand there are
Yahoo groups, but I barely hear about them, have never visited them, and
probably never will.

What makes sense, and what "works" is truly in the eye of the beholder, and
it may not make sense to 99% of this population, and that's 100% OK, and
nobody is asking anybody, or forcing anybody to change their ways or step
outside of their comfort zone.

If there is even a small percentage of people who this may be of benefit
to, and those people will use it, and it will help them, and potentially
help others in the future, then, it makes sense to me.

We've already had some pretty long debates both here on the list and on
Facebook, seems like that's something everybody can get on board with.  And
a lot of time and energy is spent accomplishing absolutely nothing.

I'm not here to sell anything, and I have nothing to gain, and lots of my
own already limited time to lose by trying to promote and support this as
yet another resource for the community, and that's exactly how I look at it.

Many seem to see something, and automatically think of all the ways it's
bad and will destroy and divide.  That's certainly one way to view
something, but, not seemingly the most positive one, but again, everybody's
filters of sensibility are self tuned.

In the broad sense, I see this as a potential resource, with potential
value and benefit, and I'd prefer to actually put a little bit of the
energy already spent debating into perhaps actually logging in, taking a
look, and seeing if looks like it may be of even a small benefit to anyone.

The one advantage we have with a privately owned and run forum, is we don't
have to worry about Yahoo taking it down, and we have complete control over
the structure and content, and I can open up the size of file attachments
as big as I want, so we have some limited form of super powers in this
small kingdom.

Another thing to consider, is that, even if the same idea failed in the
past, we are now in the present, and have the power to shape our future.
I've seen a lot of increased community involvement and strengthening in the
past 2 years, and a much louder megaphone exists for all the various
projects to be promoted, so it might possibly be the best time in history
for this to be given a shot, or we could continue to still do (or not do)
things as they've always been.

This has been a great social experiment if nothing else, which I had a PHD
to work on in human behavior, it would be award wining.

Back to whatever you were doing, I'm off to work to pay some bills.

Steve Strowbridge, aka
The Original Gamer Stevie Strow
ogStevieStrow at gmail.com

Website:  http://ogsteviestrow.com