[Coco] CoCo Flash

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sat Oct 14 21:55:41 EDT 2017

My comments will be at the end of the quote.

Step 6, the correct order should be MPI, CoCo, Monitor. The logic in the CoCoFlash is 5V tolerant but must have power applied to accept 5V input, so the MPI should be powered on first, then the CoCo.
Steps 17 and 18, here is the reason it is not working and it is easy to fix because all you should have to do is update your menu. The loading procedure for 32k ROMs is, well, strange. First, I should give you a heads up, the ccc file format for 32k ROMs is also strange. For reasons not clear to me, the 16k banks in a ccc are reversed! So Arka01 is really bank 2, and Arka02 is really bank 1. This is why you program Arka02 first, which I see that you did, then Arka01. But… When the CoCo maps a 32k ROM pack, it maps bank 2 at $C000, and ignores the lower 16k. The program code in bank 2 then toggles a bit to map the lower 16k in at $8000. So for the menu start bank, you should have 193, the start of the second 16k, not 189. Also, all game ROM packs from 2k all the way up to 32k use type 2, type 34 is only for 64k, 128k, or 256k ROMs.

So in conclusion just edit your menu...
Change your data statement from
10011 DATA “ARKANOID”, 189,34
10011 DATA “ARKANOID”, 193,2