[Coco] Tandy Assembly Exhibit: CocoMEM

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Oct 8 10:25:51 EDT 2017

512kB = $3.41 base cost (@ 100 unit prices)

1MB = $3.66 base cost

2MB = $11.74 base cost (yep, I know...).  Better to do 1 x 1MB @ 7.32,
but still too expensive

4MB = $4.63 base cost

8MB= $5.97 base cost

So, from a strictly financial perspective, there is little advantage to
going below 8MB, and no value in doing 2M. You can save a bit and not
affect the PCB footprint by designing for 4MB/8MB, as they use the same
IC footprint, so I guess I could support those two sizes.  But, there's
a cost to handling two variations of the board, and extra software to
test, so I'd prefer not doing that.

I admit when I asked the question initially, I had not consulted the
sales figures, but the refined question now would be:

You're getting 4 or 8MB.  Does anyone see value in doing more?  Paul
planned on 16MB, so at least was considering things (maybe not realistic
things, but...)

All that said, I'll probably design a 64MB board or two, just for me :-)
Just for bragging rights

Jim