[Coco] CocoPi3 "PacoOtaktay Winter 2017-2018 Edition" now available

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Thu Nov 23 16:31:00 EST 2017

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:54:20 -0600
From: Ron Klein <ron at kdomain.org>

Hi Gene,

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 1:36 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> Theres a much better card out there now, quite new where the pi's are
> getting looooong in the tooth, from Pine, called the rock64.  I am
> running the raspbian version of debian 8, "jessie" on the pi. The rock64
> running ayufan's version of debian 9, "stretch", does not have this
> internal architecture pinhole, and is quite easily 10x faster than the
> pi, 20x or more for disk accesses. Essentially the same updates,
> security related stuff, took the pi nearly an hour to do this evening,
> whereas the rock64 was finished with a nearly identical update list in
> just 3 minutes. And both are sucking those updates over the same 10
> Megabaud circuit.
>
> The rock64 is available with up to 4GB of ram for $44.

I fully intend to look into this.  Thanks so much for letting me know about
it!

I took a look at the Rock64 site also. They even have a decent laptop
using the same processor core and a similar board for right at $100! My
understanding is if it runs on the Rock64 board it will run on the laptop.
The 14" laptop is similar to a Chromebook, and $100 plus shipping (comes
from China, $40-50 shipping). So the price is good... for a CoCo laptop!!