[Coco] Just cant seem to stop my coco bingeing.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Nov 18 21:53:19 EST 2017

On Saturday 18 November 2017 21:04:51 Steve Pedersen wrote:

> For a long time I have been kinda drooling on the glass of actual coco
> ownership again.
> With a kind gift of a coco 1 thats about to change.
> And i have been binge buying all the cool hardware i can find .
> the flash/orch 90 card.
> The sdc and an ecb rom.
> The psg chip tunes card.
> I want to pick up the ps2 keyboard adapter from cloud nine but they
> havent emailed me back yet.
> Then there is the exciteing memory exp just around the corner and the
> vga cards that are also real close.
> Such an exciteing time.
> I have to figure out how to rig up a tv in my van but it's doable.

You are on a power budget thats almost zip. A crt monitor or crt tv,
while cheap, will kill your battery in an hour or less. I don't think
you have any choice but to get an led backlit, lcd monitor. Or small tv.
I have no crt monitors left here, because they'll draw 200+ watts,
whereas the led backlit lcd's all draw less than 15 watts. Even if I
can't get dpms to shut then off, which is the case with the pi running
my biggest lathe, I just leave it blanked but running. Its 8 watts. I
can save that much with the next ccfl lamp death in the house, by
replacing its 27 watts, with a 14 watt led that gives me the same light.

I can leave that tv running 24/7 in place of the old crt it replaced, and
still pay the walmart new price for it, and be money ahead in a year
because of my reduced power bill.

Good luck, in this neck of the woods its cold, raining, and overdue for
some snow. A good sleeping bag should be in use before the money goes
out for a new tv matching those specs. I did that too, one Iowa winter
65 years ago.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)