[Coco] Mark McDougall's CoCo 1/2 FPGA Project

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 14 22:36:03 EST 2017

On 15/11/2017 2:03 PM, Barry Nelson wrote:

> You mean like this:
> $6.62 SD to IDE adapter.
> Looks pretty “functional” to me… These adapter are quite common and readily available.

You're right, it is cool in its own right.

But not really suited for the task at hand. I developed my Coco1/2
emulation on a proprietary FPGA board that had a CF card connector. Why?
because CF was (is?) much easier to deal with, already interfaces to
plenty of legacy computers including the Coco (GlenSide IDE/SuperIDE),
and requires simply dropping in the base OCIDE core and little else.

I then ported the design to the TerASIC DE1, which has an SD card
instead of CF. Since I wanted to support the "stock" DE1, I started on
an 'IDE emulator' back-end that would allow me to simply selectively add
support for SD without changing the Coco core or interface, allowing
support for a slew of targets with either CF or SD.

Back in 2010 my colleague wrote the (read-only) SD interface - which,
incidentally, doesn't use the then-more-commonly-used SPI mode -
explicitly for this purpose. I wrapped another layer around this so it
looked like an IDE device. It wouldn't take a lot of work to go back now
and add write support to the SD interface, so that the Coco could write
to an SD card like an IDE device. As I said, I just never got around to
doing it.

One issue was the IDENTIFY-DEVICE command that needs to be supported,
which returns the device geometry. This had to be configured on a
case-by-case basis for whatever capacity SD card was being used with the
Coco emulation and of course also required the appropriate configuration
of HDBDOS used.

I wonder how the above-mentioned adapter handles IDENTIFY-DEVICE???

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall
<http://retroports.blogspot.com.au>