[Coco] Machine Code

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed May 31 20:13:29 EDT 2017

Curtis, no, rma doesn't use extended memory. In fact I don't know of any Microware stuff that did other than graphics. Others played around with it a bit but not to much extent (there were a few).
In developing MShell, I now have a portable virtual memory system which can be used in many projects, it's just a little complicated to set up (hence why no public release on the code until I make it easier). I'm working on an asm version by optimizing the rma code generated by the C compiler (it's in C), but to be honest, there's not much optimization that can be done on the generated code except for using static variable space instead of the stack (which C does), not sure which is faster, indexing from the stack or indexing from a memory table.
The only caveat is that you must reserve 8k in program space to map in the memory blocks.
So program/data (combined) length must remain under $DE00 (64k-(8k+$200) system stack). Just keep a running index into your data. The routines take the index and calculates which block it's in then maps that block, returning a pointer to the record. It will expand and contract as data grows/shrinks returning any unused blocks back to OS9 and using up to the 2 meg limit (minus used memory of course). All done legally with no tricks. It's a genius system developed by Mike Knudsen and tweaked to hell and back.
The really cool thing is that as long as the group# is publically known (the system uses the get/put buffers), all running programs can share the data... which opens quite a few new possibilities, some of which I use in MShell in forked/chained modules :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com