[Coco] Machine Code

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed May 31 18:19:31 EDT 2017

On 5/31/2017 4:30 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Dave, we're actually working on doing some of that in the Nitros9 code. The big thing is going to be labels over 8 chars in the defs files. These are used throughout the code base and are in hundreds of files. It would probably be easier to make the os9 assembler support 16 char names LMAO

Actually, I would think that wouldn't be too difficult.  Maybe I'll have
a look and see what would be involved.  Although I just had a look at an
8,000+ line assembler program that I recently wrote (using an assembler
that could deal with labels over 8 characters) and I never used a label
longer than 7 characters.  For me, it's just a little too clumsy using
such long labels.  I don't see a lot of reason for it.  For just about
any segment or subroutine I can abbreviate what it does in 5-6
characters and then still have 1-2 characters left for appending a
suffix for labeling  different positions within the routine.

> And BTW, tabs are supported in Ed 3.1. Use the <Shft><R Arrow> in the editor to create a tab. An unlike some os9 editors, it does not create a tab made of spaces, but a true tab char.

Yes, I like that feature and have been using it.  However, with the lack
of a dedicated tab key, it's a little clumsy.  Almost as difficult as
getting around the "shift-arrow" problem with the PS/2 keyboard on the
CoCo3FPGA.  But I think Gary's got some ideas on getting 'round that
problem.

Dave