[Coco] I've got DriveWire 4 installed

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon May 29 10:01:52 EDT 2017

Wayne, first, it is never a good idea to load drivers "after" the boot file. This advise comes from many OS9 users past and present. The OS9 manual even states as much. This meaning loading temp drivers after you've booted into NitrOS9. Yes, it works, but yes, it can eventually fail. It's ok for testing or a quick fix for something temporary, but not for regular use. When OS9 boots, memory is allocated to the drivers and their descriptors in a permanent location in system memory. When you load them later instead, these locations are just temp locations in user memory and can easily be corrupted by other software being loaded. Not to mention they use much more system memory when loaded later.
The best solution is to have the drivers in the bootfile.

2nd, the emudsk driver is 100 times faster than the DW drivers so I would use /h0 as /dd. This gives you the fastest system drive possible. I've found through tests that the "TCP" port in DW4 for emulators is actually slower than the Serial port transfers used by a real Coco and DW4.

3rd, the emudsk driver and descriptors ARE in the repo under "3rdparty/drivers/emudsk". If you build your own NitrOS9 disks, these drivers are assembled, but NOT put on any dsk image. The assembled files can be found in the above folder after doing a complete build of the repository. Hopefully I will get a chance soon to create the patches need to have the repo build disk images for the emulators. This has been needed for a very long time.

In my "Starter Kits" for VCC & DW4, the VHDs are setup so that the system starts it's boot from DW4, then finishes on the native VCC HD using /h0 as /dd. This makes VCC the system drive, leaving you 4 data drives which can be swapped out at will.
These Starter Kit packages are "turnkey" systems in that after installation, the only setup required is to mount the 2 VHDs (one in DW4, on in VCC). NitrOS9 is already setup and ready to run.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com