[Coco] Getting Multiview or MShell going?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu May 25 12:14:18 EDT 2017

Walter Zambotti wrote:
> I should have elaborated on the actual problem.
>
> When I enter :
>
> Drive0
> ?SN Error
> Dos
> ?SN Error
>
> I tend to vaguely recall if the VCC execution directory was not the same as the VCC home directory problems may arise.
>
> Some success!
>
> I have to hard reset VCC twice before it starts working?!?!?!?
>
> What's going on here.
>
> Walter

Walter,

You are supplying so little information, it is very hard to suggest ways to solve your problems.
With my VCC 2.01b on a WinXP system, there is no problem seeing the : when that key is pressed.

In case this may help with your various problems, use the VCC Configuration menu to set
CPU memory size to at least 2Megs and HD6309.
Keyboard to natural OS-9         closest match to a PC keyboard
Joysticks to mouse
MISC auto start emulation ON
      auto start cart OFF unless you want to run a plug-in ROM Pak

Now specifically with the above, the : key will print/enter :
If you set the keyboard for Basic, the - key on the PC will print :
Trying to remember which key fits a Coco is a waste of time unless you have a real Coco keyboard
next to your PC so you can look at it if necessary.

Now why would you enter
:
Drive0

: by itself does nothing. Drive0 requires the disk11.rom to be present in the VCC folder and would
be expected to give a syntax error when the ROM is not present as you would just have Extended Basic
not Disk Extended Basic running. Same thing with DOS. So, what do you see on the screen when you
start VCC?
What do you have Cartridge/FD-502 Config set for and do you even have that option? When you look at
Cartridge/Cartridge do you have anything loaded such as the MPI?

When you say you "hard reset VCC twice", exactly what do you mean? If you go to the File/hard_reset
on the menubar, VCC should immediately restart. If instead you press the F9 key, one press gives you
the missing signal message and tells you to press F9 again. Both these results are normal!
You can see the 3 gurus by simultaneously pressing CTLR+ALT and then pressing F5. Press F5 again and
you will get a Restart.

Robert