[Coco] Getting Multiview or MShell going?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed May 24 09:20:37 EDT 2017

Walter Zambotti wrote:
> Trying to get up to speed with a lot of things.
>

> Where can I find latest versions of:
>

> VCC

The latest release, 2.01b Feb. 6, should be at
https://github.com/VCCE/VCC/releases

> Nitros09 disk or drive images suitable for VCC

The latest disks should be at
https://nitros9.sourceforge.io/snapshot/
Use the disk appropriate for your system!
Also look on
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Disks/

Any disk that works with a real Coco should work with MESS/MAME and VCC. Exceptions are some
copy-protected disks. It is just the question of how to make .dsk and .os9 disk images for a PC.

> Basic09 (the 6309 version I have is buggy)

Are you sure that it is buggy rather than you are not using it quite right? :)
If it came with a NitrOS-9 release disk, it should be correct but does require a 6309 CPU in either
a real Coco or an emulator correctly set for 6309 operation.
Use the disk source above.

> Mshell

This is the brain child of Bill Pierce. You can reach him at ooogalapasooo at aol.com and the program
can be obtained at

> Multi-view (probably only one version)

Use the NitrOS-9 link given above. Choose the disk appropriate for your system!

> Questions
>

> Should I use Mshell or Multiview or any other GUI?
>

> Walter

Personally, I would start without a GUI until I had a basic grasp of what NitrOS-9 is and how it
works. Once you have some familiarity with OS-9/NitrOS-9 and decide it would be nice to have
shortcuts to activate various functions, then try a GUI to see if it makes things simpler or more
complex.
I believe Multi-view was not very popular as it really did not simplify using OS-9.

Robert