[Coco] Is the RND command really generating a random number?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu May 18 21:01:22 EDT 2017

Typically, random number generators use an algorithm like:

next random number = previous random number times some big integer, plus
another big integer.  Often, the result is truncated to a certain number of
bits.  With appropriate choices of the two constants, the results
approximate what you'd expect with truly random numbers.  However, the
sequence generated by this algorithm will repeat after some (typically
huge) number of calls, so it is not truly random.

There are tests for statistical randomness that can be used to evaluate
different algorithms.

Art