[Coco] Coco KB membrane replacement

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Sun May 14 12:21:12 EDT 2017

On 5/14/2017 3:37 AM, RWAP Software wrote:
> That seems excessive - but it depends on how many membranes you would
> order.
That price is for 100 units.  NRE cost is 804.00.  Unit price is 52.60.
That is actual cost, so no profit built into those prices. Does not
include shipping, customs, etc.
> The majority of the cost of setting up a new membrane production is
> the initial laying out and graphics.  Most membrane manufacturers also
> price themselves out of the market because they are not interested in
> small production runs.
I will do the layout, as it's just a PCB, and I can send gerbers.

> If I had an actual membrane I could always ask the manufacturer I use
> here in the UK.
I'd love to get an estimate from them.  I have the membrane (well, lots
of folks can get it.  You can easily remove from the KB assembly), but I
think if they just knew the dimensions and saw a pic of the flattened
membrane, they could estimate.
> The problem is knowing how many to order - realistically you are
> talking of a production run of at least 250 membranes to make it
> worthwhile from a cost basis.
Possibly 250, but I would assume the per unit cost would not halve, and
that still seems high.

Jim