[Coco] make utility for OS9

Wed May 10 15:21:32 EDT 2017

Here is the readme from make_TK.

If somebody using Private Messages can help me with "WINscp" I will upload all the programs of the "C" Compiler set. I keep getting locked out and I have not figured out why and the site manager is busy with his Day Job. You need the entire set as RMA and RLINK are used as well as the latest CC. I even have the source for RMA6309, perhaps the last copy anywhere!

This is the source for the Make utility.  Please tell me if you come
up with any improvements to it.

Delphi: TIMKOONCE, TIMKIENTZLE
Internet: koonce at math.berkeley.edu
Bitnet: koonce at UCBBRAHMS

Installing Make:
 - "make.default" should be in the "/dd/sys" directory with r, pr attr
 - "make" should be in your current exec dir with the appropriate attr

Customizing Make:
 - The major way you can customize make is to edit /dd/sys/make.default
   to change the default rules to fit your own particular setup.
   I am especially interested in knowing good default rules for use with
   other languages (i.e. Pascal, ASM, RMA, etc.)
 - If you want to re-compile, there are a couple of easy customizations
   you can make to the source:
     - The filename for "/dd/sys/make.default" is defined in h.h.
       You can change it to your preference.
     - By undefining DEFN0, make will use compiled-in rules, defined
       in rules.c.  This will help make start up faster.

Among other changes I've made:
 - I fixed the -q and -p options
 - I added support for -f, -z, and -u
 - I generalized the implicit command checking to allow for targets with
   no suffix, i.e.  .r:; <command>  defines a command to build a target
   with no suffix from a .r file.
 - I added recognition of the semicolon separator to include commands
   on the same line
 - I added support for ODIR and RDIR (see make.default for more info)
 - If there is no makefile, make will build a null entry for a target
   on the command line, and try to apply it's rules from there.

Differences from Tandy Make:
- SDIR is not supported.
- The default rules are probably different.
- This make doesn't have the annoying bug of making intermediate
  files many times if they occur in more than one branch of the
  dependency tree.  (Yea!)
- To determine a timestamp for a file with no suffix, this make will
  first look in the current exec dir, then the current data dir.

Differences from Unix Make:
- The -k option is not supported.
- The ~ modifier is not supported.

General comments.
   I took this up largely to get a make which didn't have the most
annoying bugs of Tandy make, and which supported implicit dependency
checking.  Many of the features (such as double-colon targets and
.PRECIOUS targets) have not been fully tested.  The current version
works well for me.  I would like to see -k implemented, and more
reasonable output from -d.

SHF