[Coco] "Sprites" on CoCo?

Glen Hewlett glen.hewlett at sympatico.ca
Tue May 9 16:57:32 EDT 2017

Hi Andrew,

I’m always glad to hear someone has enjoyed the Pac man Blog.  I always planned on sharing everything I’m learning about the CoCo as I work on the transcode.  The main section of the code is done, other then some more optimizations.  I pretty much have the audio worked out and I’m just fighting with getting the compiled sprite routines on screen properly and trying to optimize them on screen as much as I can.  In fact John Kowalski (sock master) just commented on my last blog entry with a tip to make the compiled sprites even faster.  Which means I’m going to have to go through and see where I can optimize my compiled sprite code with his new ideas.

All great stuff, but more work just when I thought I was finally seeing a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel something else pops up.  It’s all good, except I’m starting to get burnt out, it’s getting close to 6 months for this project so far and the weather outside is getting nicer.  I was hoping I’d be on to transcoding another classic old arcade game by now.  Oh well, I guess with the next project I should be able to work out the CoCo graphics and sound parts much faster…

I will be uploading all my source code and tools for the Pac Man transcode when I’m done on the coco Archive like I did with Space Invaders.  I do like your idea of putting all the blog entries in PDF format for anyone to learn from.  I’ll have to think about what is the best method when I get to that point.  Please remind me if I forget.

Cheers,
Glen