[Coco] Happy Birthday BASIC!

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Wed May 3 06:33:25 EDT 2017

No, it's not just you. Here's the standard quote from Edsger W. Dijkstra: "It
is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have
had a prior exposure to BASIC <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/BASIC>: as
potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of
regeneration." Dijkstra would have written me off; I got my start (not
counting curiosities like the Bell Labs CARDIAC cardboard sort-of computer
we were all given in junior high) in 1971 with a few weeks' exposure to
BASIC on a Data General Supernova thanks to the University of Oklahoma (and
in particular Dr. Richard V. Andree) and an NSF-sponsored setup with weekly
lectures and lab time. BTW, Supernova BASIC had the original Dartmouth
BASIC "MAT" statements and functions for matrix operations.

Kemeny and Kurtz themselves didn't like microcomputer BASICs of the sort
that Microsoft, or rather Micro-Soft, churned out in the early days; they
referred to them as "gutter BASIC".

The thing is that the early BASICs are not suited for anything but tiny
programs, thanks to primitive control structures, no data structures other
than arrays, no data types other than floating point numbers and strings,
one global namespace for all variables, and subroutines as the closest
thing to a way to break tasks down into smaller pieces. BASICs like Color
BASIC are not a help but an impediment to writing any nontrivial program.