[Coco] CoCo 1 upgrade from 32k to 64k - Help

Glen Hewlett glen.hewlett at sympatico.ca
Mon May 1 18:50:20 EDT 2017

Hi All,

At the CoCo Fest I won an auction for an original CoCo 1 that was identical to first CoCo I ever owned.  It currently has 32k and it looks like it was a Radio shack upgrade since it also has the 32k badge on top.  I was testing to see if it was actually a 64k CoCo but when I ran the program to copy the ROMs to RAM and leave it in all RAM mode the program runs but I still can’t change any bytes where the ROMs are loaded.  So it still seems to be setup in hardware as a 32k CoCo.  One weird thing though is that if I do a Poke &HFFDF,0 it locks up the computer.  But If I try the same Poke &HFFDF,0 after running the program that copies the ROMS to RAM the computer doesn’t lock up but again I can’t change any byte above $8000.  I also tried the 64k game SailorMan and it fails to start.  I’m pretty sure it’s not a 64k CoCo 1.

I found a old site that was found in the internet archive the site was called Paul D's CoCo Hardware Page
http://www.oocities.org/theother_bob/PaulDpages/hardware.html <http://www.oocities.org/theother_bob/PaulDpages/hardware.html>

It gives details about upgrading a Model E board CoCo 1 to 32k which I’ve followed and it looks like it’s already done on my Model E board.  At the end of the article it says:

"You should have 32K. For the 64K mod of this board, e-mail me to request it.”

Does anyone have the instructions for modifying a Model E board 32k CoCo 1 to 64k?

Any help is appreciated,
Glen