[Coco] [COCO] Stacking the 6309?

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Fri Mar 31 12:43:16 EDT 2017

I think you've reversed the intent of the "why bother" question. I take
it to mean "why bother keeping the 6809 because by default the 6309
works the same", not "why bother with a 6309".

For software the behaves and doesn't rely on undocumented 6809
behaviour, there is no need to keep the 6809 around. The 6309 in
"emulation" (default) mode will work the same.

There is, however, some software out there that relies on undocumented
behaviour such as the code sequence "$10 $20" being executed as "LBRA"
even though that is not officially documented anywhere and any proper
software won't do that. For things relying on undocumented behaviour,
you need a real 6809 to make them work properly. Fortunately, such
software is rare since most assemblers won't output such bad code.

Also, as noted elsewhere, if you want to be absolutely certain something
you're building works properly on a real 6809 (making sure you didn't
get some stray 6309-only instructions mixed in, for instance), running
it on a real 6809 is useful.