[Coco] Using DriveWire to write network software

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Wed Mar 29 13:56:16 EDT 2017

I'm happy to help in the "real" space (networking solutions for
emulators are dirt simple, they've done it on the Commodore emu side for
a while using RS232 to a "server" to handle the crosstalk and such, and
with the emulated NIC for true peer to peer games), but I can only (but
quickly) provide HW.  ESP8266, CS8900a, WizNet are all possible, but it
takes someone in the SW realm to be interested enough to write the app.

My personal view is that folks should write code to use the RS232 pak,
assuming that there is a "modem" on the other end.  Once the session is
established, it looks like a "becker" port for comms, and older code can
enjoy the new networking (Telnettable BBSes, etc.) To that end, I
created a new RS232 cart last year, that offered faster comms, but there
was little interest in the community for it, so I focused efforts
elsewhere.  Still, my idea would be:

Step 1: RS232 PAK (or reproduction) -> UDS10 ( or tcpser_via_PC) ->
Internet
Lets people start coding and testing out ideas.
Step 2: self contained cartridge to emulate Step 1
Same code will work, more finished looking unit
Step 3 (obligatory): PROFIT!

Jim