[Coco] Megaread problems

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Mar 27 17:28:10 EDT 2017

That's good to know.  With that in mind I suppose one could even modify
megaread to automatically include the '@' if it found that the path
provided in the command line pointed to a device.

On 3/27/2017 2:49 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Dave, Tim, Robert etc, You can't "megaread" "/dd". As Dave stated it's a directory and not a file, so error 214 was correct.

Of course a directory is a file.  Just a special kind of file...:-)

> The help message is not "wrong", just incomplete. The "@" is a standard in OS9 directive for opening and reading the "raw" device (it's in the manual) and anyone having read the manual, should know this :-P.
> Many programs can use "@" as a directive and very few of those state so in their helpfiles.
> In that respect, "Copy" would not work as copy assumes a definate file size (obtained from the file descriptor) and "@" has no file size, therefore would run forever (bad error trapping?) or error out. For copy to work with "@" it would have to read LSN0 to get the drive size (not part of the copy code).

It would probably be handy for 'copy' to be able to do that.  Since
'ded' correctly computes the size of the device, we know it can be
done.  That way you could use the 'copy' command to backup an entire
device if you wanted.