[Coco] Megaread problems

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Mar 27 14:24:37 EDT 2017

So, I *think* that the real problem is that /dd is a directory.  And in
order to read a directory it has to be opened in a different way than a
regular file.  I haven't written any file manipulation code for OS9 in
years so I'd have to look this up in the tech manual but I'm guessing
that when you open a file for reading you may have to specify that it's
a directory if it actually is one.  As an example, the disk editor 'ded'
will correctly open a root directory and read it in (ded /dd).
Additionally, megaread will correctly read from a regular file but if
the regular file is shorter than what megaread wants to read then it
will just finish early without errors.  So 'megaread /dd/bigfile' works
but only provides useful information if 'bigfile' is at least one
megabyte in size.

Dave