[Coco] Megaread problems

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Mar 27 14:15:48 EDT 2017

Just a note.  I'm not sure if I found a bug in NitrOS9 'copy' or not.
But just for snicks I tried something. I have an 8MB ramdisk named '/R0'
and I have a 128MB SD card partition named '/SD0'. There is plenty of
free space on '/SD0'.  So I tried as below to 'copy /R0@
/SD0/ramdisk-image'.  This should copy the entire ramdisk to an image
file on the SD card.  The copy basically worked but it locked up the
shell I was in even after the file was supposedly written (which
shouldn't have taken much more than 30 seconds).  I hit 'BREAK' and
finally regained the shell but the copy process was still running.  I
killed it and 'procs' showed it was gone but the system was still being
bogged down with something.  I had to re-boot NitrOS9 to clear it.  When
I did a 'dir -e' of /SD0 I found the huge file in the directory and it
was the correct size (80 0000) but its attributes were null (--------)
and the owner was '8000'.  When I tried to delete the file I got a 214
error so I used ded and found the first sector of the file and manually
corrected the attributes and the owner so that when I did a 'dir' the
owner showed as '0' and the attributes showed as '--ewrewr' ($3F) and
then I was able to delete it. At first glance the filesystem on my SD
card is ok but I have't checked it all thoroughly yet.  Maybe I just
didn't allow enough time for the copy to finish.  Has anyone ever run
into such a problem before?  Has anyone ever manipulated files as large
as 8MB under NitrOS9?  I did create a file of slightly over 1MB in size
and everything seemed to be ok.

I'm going to format another SD card and play around a bit and see if I
can re-create the problem and find out exactly what it is.

Dave