[Coco] Using DriveWire to write network software

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 11:36:16 EDT 2017

Hi,

When I wrote the drivewire tcp stuff, it was really just a proof of
concept and not super well thought out.  Shortly after that I learned
about chips like the wiznet series, and it seemed that someone would
be connecting something like that to a coco in the near future so we
didn't put much work into those things in DriveWire.  We actually
wrote the client side stuff for os9 with the idea in mind that someday
they would be used with a "real" or alternative IP stack.

Would it make sense to revisit that idea?  There are many more options
now than a few years ago, but the basic idea of "ip stack on a chip"
still seems like a nice solution for older hardware.

Even if there isn't a hardware solution at present, most if not all of
the functionality could be duplicated in a "drivewire-like" server and
driver shims on the coco side that did serial comms like dw rather
than the hardware SPI or other interface there would be in a chip
based solution.
Basically, rather than the essentially proprietary and not very well
designed DriveWire protocol, we could use some industry standard
chipset.  I'd be willing to put in some time to make some example code
or a proof of concept server if people are interested.  Or if somebody
wants to get an IP stack chip connected to a coco, it's not even
needed.  For the FPGA side of things, I believe you have SPI already
on the altera boards so an adapter that used the same ip chip might be
simple to add, and the same software could work with both.

Here is one example, but there are lots.  Some use a standard Hayes
sort of command set, that would be super simple to hack together as a
server out of things Drivewire already does.

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/DevTools/Arduino/W5100_Datasheet_v1_1_6.pdf

-Aaron