[Coco] Using DriveWire to write network software

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 10:11:25 EDT 2017

Lee,

I assume your doing bare-metal asm?  Then first at the lowest layer, you'll
need a copy of Darren's (most righteous) dw routines.  They can be located
in the os9, toolshed, and fuzix repos.  Look for 'dwread.asm' and
'dwwrite.asm'.

Next, I prefer to abstract these two routines into a "transaction" -
combining them into a function/routine/proceedure to first send some bytes
via dwwrite, and then read some bytes via dwread.  All but one dw operation
(disk read, iirc) can be formulated with this "transaction" layer.

Then read up the tech specs on Aaron's site about vports.

I'll send you some code via email for example, but basically sending bytes
down these vports is dead simple, but reading bytes requires periodically
polling to see if any vport channel has data, and reading the data.

To acheive basic TCP, you send a simple ascii string to the vport, await
the connect notice(also in text), then consider the channel a TCP pipe.
"tcp connect some.server.com"

brett