[Coco] MPI /Coco3 upgrade

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Thu Mar 23 01:23:25 EDT 2017

> Bill cwgordon at carolina.rr.com  <mailto:coco%40maltedmedia.com?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BCoco%5D%20MPI%20/Coco3%20upgrade&In-Reply-To=%3C00b501d2a371%24a39e05c0%24eada1140%24%40rr.com%3E>
> Wed Mar 22 21:06:01 EDT 2017
>
> A good friend of mine gave me two MPIs, one is a 26-3024, and the other is a
> 216-3124. The guy HE got them from swore that they were Coco3 ready, but
> after looking them both over, then running PRINT PEEK(&HFF90) THEY both gave
> me 255-which as I understand it means they were NOT Coco3 ready.
>
> Does the PRINT PEEK(&HFF90) apply to the 3124 as well as the 3024? Or is
> there another PEEK inquiry I could make?
>
> Thanks
If PRINT PEEK(&HFF90) returns 255 on both MPIs then neither one is modified for the CoCo 3. Do NOT use them with a CoCo 3 until they have been upgraded or you may damage the CoCo 3’s GIME chip. They can be upgraded either by adding a small circuit, or by replacing a PAL chip with a new correctly programmed one. I can send you instructions for the circuit modification if you need them, or I think cloud 9 still provides MPI upgrades as a service.