[Coco] Pdf on coco3

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Mar 22 22:20:13 EDT 2017

A random page from a Rainbow pdf, saved to PNG gives a 797x1089 file in RGBA,
which would take 3390k of RAM if uncompressed the ordinary way, and then it
would have to be copied to video RAM. Using 256-color GIF would unpack to 848k
instead, and using 16-colour GIF would unpack to 424k. There are various tricks
to make it smaller, but IMHO the biggest problem is how annoying it is to read
from a picture larger than the screen, because if it is not zoomed out it won't
be practical to use. At the same time, rescaling is a good way to cut a lot more
bytes, but care must be taken not to make too much text unreadable. It can't fit
in 320 for sure. And then, if your mode has 640 pixels wide (0.8 scale factor =
0.64 times 424k = 272k), it doesn't work in 16 colours, therefore 4-colour GIF
(halve the RAM again, 136k). But then, the pixels' aspect ratio wouldn't be
close to 1, therefore even more rows of pixels would have to be deleted, and I
think it would lose too much readability (even more so if the version targetting
the Coco has to be prepared from the non-antialiased 797x1089 instead of from a
higher-res version...). So it would be an incentive to choose a bad aspect ratio
just for the sake of having the whole width of the page at the same time as
enough vertical res to make it readable. ;-) I'm supposing that vertical
scrolling is not an issue, too.

But the killer is really the fact that if the user has only one CoCo, this has
to be multitasked with whatever the user is trying to read about in Rainbow, and
that thing is rarely multitaskable (nevermind the amount of RAM). This also
holds if one has both a Coco2 and a Coco3 but would need to run a Coco3 app
while viewing Rainbow GIFs on another Coco3... argh.