[Coco] Cassette Program Loading Help Needed

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Mar 20 05:05:32 EDT 2017

On Monday 20 March 2017 03:02:46 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> On 3/20/2017 1:10 AM, Barry Nelson wrote:
> > So you need some 6809 assembly coding again eh? Something maybe to
> > display the raw bytes being read from the cassette port? My daughter
> > and I might be able to do something. It will take some timeā€¦
>
> Yeah, I do.  I can't tell where the read code is getting messed up. As
> I noted in a later msg, my Coco3 can't seem to laod code it saves, and
> I have played with the audio levels quite a bit.  The same levels that
> don't work on the Coco3 work fine on the Coco1.
> Thanks for the suggestion to pick up a few different models.  It came
> in handy.
>
> > I would also suggest using a square wave output.
>
> I think Dave is right, and square wave will work, but it has not
> worked so far, even on the Coco 1.
>
> > It uses an LTC1063 chip driven by two square wave inputs to generate
> > a sine wave output for a wide range of input frequencies.
>
> I may try it out, but due to the intended use of this solution, cost
> needs to be very low, which translates into very low parts count.
> Thus, I'd rather not use anything more than the ATMEGA168 and
> passives, perhaps an odd transistor or two.
>
> Jim

Jim, this thread is tickling a very old memory. ISTR reading in one of
the unraveled books, that one of those functions (CLOADM?) was
incomplete in the coco3's roms.  Or maybe I read it in Kevin's brown
book? That faint memory keeps floating to the top for some reason as I
read this thread. It may have even been mentioned in a Rainbow. But if
so, I haven't a clue which one.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)