[Coco] error 249

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Mon Mar 20 01:16:25 EDT 2017

> Bill cwgordon at carolina.rr.com  <mailto:coco%40maltedmedia.com?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BCoco%5D%20error%20249&In-Reply-To=%3C000101d2a024%2487595090%24960bf1b0%24%40rr.com%3E>
> Sat Mar 18 16:16:29 EDT 2017
>
> Do I change the DNS or not?
>
> Here is the ENTIRE list as it comes from a FRESH boot:
>
> DMODE /D0
> nam=D0 mgr=RBF ddr=rb1773
> hpn=07 hpa=FF40 drv=00 stp=03 typ=21 dns=01 cyl=50 sid=02
> vfy=01 sct=0012 t0s=0012 ilv=03 sas=08 wpc= ofs= rwc=
>
> That is it. The same setup is also set up for /d1. I am using 3 1/2" 80tk drives
>
> I did "ident -m rb1773", and our numbers match.
> I did "ident -m rbf", and again, our numbers match.
>
> This just leaves cleaning the heads on the drives.
>
> Thanks
Something I can see! Well, if your disk was formatted with dns=03 and as shown above your /d0 is set to dns=01 then I would expect to get an error 249. Try running “dmode /d0 dns=03” then try reading the disk.
Byte 67 (0x43 in hex) in logical sector zero contains the density at which the disk was formatted. If you want to change the “density” of the disk, this is the byte to change. The command “dump /d0@“ should dump lsn0 (and the rest of the disk if you don’t press break) to the screen, even if dir can not read the disk, so you can see what is in the dns byte on the disks lsn0. It is unclear what the correct setting for dns is on a 3 1/2 drive because they only operate at high track density.