[Coco] Consensus on using two floppy disk controller at the same time?

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:38:00 EDT 2017

From: Coco [coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] on behalf of David Ladd [davidwladd at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2017 2:15 PM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] Consensus on using two floppy disk controller at the same time?

Tim,

Using two floppy controllers would be the same as using the CoCoSDC & a
FDC.  You would probably have to write your own routines to switch the MPI
slot for the I/O lines.  Not sure how Disk Basic would handle.

As far as NitrOS-9 goes that is something I think might need to be updated
with the disk driver and maybe have a value some place in the descriptor to
specify which MPI slot the drive is connected through.

Personally, I think this is something that should have been done many years
ago.  It would have been nice to be able to use multiple controllers for
use with multiple drives.

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM, tim lindner <tlindner at macmess.org> wrote:

> Of couse this requires a Multi-Pak, but it also depends on how the
> cartridges put the NMI* and RESET* lines when not active.
>
> Are these lines generally left floating or pulled high?

Now this is something I find interesting.  Could one set the SDC for the Dragon addressing
and then use both the SDC and a standard COCO with real disks on it?  Assuming one made
custom drivers for NitrOS9 for the SDC.  Hmmm...  What about a custom version of HDB-DOS
that was aware of both?  So many ideas, so little time.

At least I am making headway with my floppy project.

bill