[Coco] error 249

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Mar 18 17:30:42 EDT 2017

On Saturday 18 March 2017 13:10:46 Bill wrote:

> So I should "DMODE /Dn stp=03 typ=03 cyl=50" and make sure the dns=1.

No Bill, although you may have to do that to get a wrongly formatted disk
to read correctly. In that case read it out to mass storage, with dsave
or? fix the descriptor, format the disk and write it back to get a  good
copy on the floppy. But in the future, if cyl=50(80 decimal tracks) and
the disk is a 5.25" disk, only then is it dns=3, indicating a narrow
track drive, which if you put a 40 track disk in it, it should have a
dns=1 and that will cause the driver to double step the drive, keeping
the narrower 80 track head in the middle of the wider 40 track image on
the disk so it can read that 40 track image properly.

To repeat, possibly add nausium, dns=3 only for the descriptor looking at
a 5.25" 80 track drive, all other descriptors including the 3.5" stuff
should have a dns=1.

You will thank us the first time you forget and try to write to that 40
track disk in the 80 track drive, it will be write protected even w/o
the notch being covered.  And your precious, only copy of the 40 track
disk has not been destroyed.  All such bets are of course null and void
if the descriptor that formatted that 40 track disk has a dns=3 in its
lsn0. You can fix that with dEd. See my previous msg and the rbf defs
and docs though.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)