[Coco] error 249

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 13:04:12 EDT 2017

Bill, the only things I know of that give error 249 are wrong disk type in "TYP=", wrong density in "DNS=", or using a non OS9 disk (i.e. it can't find LSN0).
You said you formatted the disk and copied the utilities over. If you didn't get are error in this process, then something happened between copying and accessing afterwards.
Did you give "format" any parameters? If so, what were they? If they were different from the descriptor, then that may cause problems. Format uses the the descriptor's settings by default if no parms are given.

Also, have you tried cleaning the heads of the drive? In copying my old disks a few years back, I had to clean my heads about every 3rd or 4th read due to the disks starting deteriorate and the heads picking up "residue" that had to be cleaned off after a couple of reads. Regardless of how "new" your disks are, the last disks were made years ago, so even "new" sealed box disks are showing deterioration. According to your climate and storage methods, some faster than others. If the drive can't find LSN0, you may get error 249.

Just going through some of the "known" issues here, not "assuming" anything :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com