[Coco] error 249

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Mar 18 12:49:18 EDT 2017

On Saturday 18 March 2017 11:01:18 Stephen H. Fischer wrote:

> It has been many years since I last used my real CoCo and made the
> mistake of inserting a NitrOS-9 DNS=3 formatted disk into a drive that
> had a descriptor set to DNS=1. Actually VCC and other emulators
> running NitrOS-9 can demonstrate the error.
>
> I think that 249 was the error reported. My OS-9 manuals are currently
> unavailable.
>
> I rarely used DNS=1 as all my descriptors normally had DNS=3 for my
> 5-1/4" 80T2S disks (NitrOS-9 will double step to read a 40T2S disk.)
> All most all of my disks I have archives of online have that format.
>
> I needed to use the correct DNS=3 in my system but the CoCo world
> mainly has DNS=1.

This is one of the changes Robert G. and I did to Nitros9 a couple, maybe
3 years back. Or possibly an interim change. What I wanted to do was
make a 40 track disk inserted into an 80 track drive into a read-only
disk automatically in order to protect the disk from being trashed by
the write of a much narrower track in the middle of its wider 40 track
magnetic pattern.

This of course only works IF the disks format truly reflects the disk
characteristics. That, _everybody_, means ALL your 5.25" 40 track disks
were formatted with dns=1, and ALL you 5.25" 80 track disks were
formatted with DNS=3.

Now, to confuse the issue because there is no "high track density" step
mode to any 3.5" disk drive, they are ALL 135 tpi, the DNS in a 3.5" 80
track descriptor should always be set for DNS=1 as there is no double
track density mode in any of the drives.

Robert and I fixed the driver, but its up to you folks to fix your
descriptors, its one of the things delegated to the makefile IIRC.

AIR, I was able to fix my disks with dEd.  But I forget at this late date
which byte(s) in lsn0 is changed, sorry. The rbf docs should clarify the
correct byte(s), its in the DD.TYP, and in PD.OPT section both IIRC.

I also do not know if those descriptor changes made it into the actual
descriptors made by a current Nitros9 build.  So check and correct them
with dmode using the "dmode -filename" syntax so they'll be set
correctly until your next update your Nitros9 install.  Then check it
again after an update.  The reason I don't know is that descriptors are
IMNSHO for your hardware, and do not, or should not change when you
update, So I have a saved dir for them, and a script I run after an
update that overwrites the distributions descriptors that I use here,
with my own corrected versions.

So thats my solution to that particular Excedrin headache. You may have
your own and if it gets the job done, fine. My way "works for me."

> It is hard to understand how the mismatch might happen

No its not at all hard to understand, theres whole books worth of bogus
info out there about this, but you are reading it from the horses
fingers here folks. Pay attention please.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)