[Coco] I am looking for a few Code Snippets for the CoCo's.

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Fri Mar 17 17:48:21 EDT 2017

I'm not familiar with the Apple Super Serial card but likely it used a UART as did the serial ports on the IBM PCs.  This is way better than the 'bit-banger' port on the CoCo because the UART takes care of the precise bit timing, buffering, error detection, framing, and assembling of the bitstream in the serial communications.  With the onboard serial port the 6809 must do all of that and it becomes quite a chore when you're working at bit rates above 9600.

Just as a SAM/GIME chip handles all of the video timings necessary for the CoCo that a 6809 could never do on its own, so too, a UART can handle a chore which becomes too tedious for the 6809 at anything more than the slower bitrates.

With dedicated UART/USART hardware you can free up a whole bunch of CPU time that could be well spent elsewhere.  I have a custom 6809-based FPGA design with a 250kbps USART, and three 115.2kbps UARTs and it can handle simultaneous communications over all four of them with ease even when the CPU core is slowed down to 1 MHz.

Dave