[Coco] C interpreter for Coco BASIC?

go4retro at go4retro.com go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Mar 16 12:10:25 EDT 2017

   The code can be 100% compatible, but compatibility is a tricky thing to
   define. The first step is geting the parser to understand the tokens
   and their parms, and the second is actually executing the
   functionality.
   For CocoFEST, I am hoping to get PRINT, GOTO, GOSUB, FOR, NEXT, END,
   STOP, and maybe a few others working completely (parsed and executed).
   For the rest, I will try to get the code to at least parse the
   keywords, but probably not execute.
   There's no reason why the code can't be improved after the show. For
   reasons that will become evident after the show, things like POKE,
   PEEK, INPUT, GET, OPEN, CLOSE operations can't be supported in my
   project, but I will try to put the code in to parse them and put stubs
   in so that others can implement them if desired.
   Jim
   > On March 16, 2017 at 2:22 AM James Ross <jrosslist at outlook.com>
   wrote:

   > I hear you about the time! I have the same issue! With limited time,
   at some point, I need to settle on a CoCo project, focus on it, and see
   it through completion instead of just throwing out ideas / jumping from
   idea to idea.

   > This project of yours sounds pretty cool. I like the approach w/ the
   portable ANSI C which can be re-used for other projects.

   Innovations <go4retro at go4retro.com>
   > Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:29 AM
   > To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
   > Subject: Re: [Coco] C interpreter for Coco BASIC?
   >
   > On 3/15/2017 6:33 PM, James Ross wrote:
   > > Jim wrote
   > >> Before I go roll my own interpreter for the Coco tokenized BASIC,
   anyone
   > >> know of an open source C implementation?
   > > Sounds like an interesting project Jim -- did a I miss an
   announcement describing what this project is about? Or, are you keeping
   it under wraps to announce it at the CoCo Fest?
   > Since my time comes in spurts, given my day job, I try my best to not
   > announce things until I am absolutely positive they are going to
   > happen. This one is not quite there.
   >
   > But, if folks are interested in working on it with me (all my
   projects
   > are open source), I am happy to share details. At this point, it's
   AVR
   > C code, and right at the absolutely present moment, it is straight
   ANSI
   > C code that I am compiling on Linux and Windows to implement the
   BASIC