[Coco] Looks like someone has already done some legwork to get a Pi to boot as a Coco

Ron Klein ron at kdomain.org
Wed Mar 15 10:31:53 EDT 2017

Hi Glen,

I agree with everything you've said below.  It does make a relatively
inexpensive platform to enjoy the Coco for those who may not have the funds
to get a real Coco (and associated hardware) or simply want to consolidate
space, simplify and/or allow for ease in portability.

I think I will look into kicking off an initial Coco emulation distribution
for the Pi 3 (since this is what I currently have).

Latest Raspbian as a base (update through normal apt-get process)
Latest MAME (0.183)
Latest XRoar (for an alternate Coco 2 / Dragon platform)

Drivewire 4 set up to host using Becker option (local Emulators only).
Easy change to support external serial/USB hosting.  I run DW4 in non-GUI
mode, however, you can run it as an X-Windows client (GUI) on the RPI3
under Raspbian.

I'll check with Brett to see if I can add some components to support
networking under Fuzix (Coco 3 only) using 'lwwire'.  This feature would
require some easy changes a few configuration options and will be based on
each person's current networking environment.  This may become more
appealing for those folks attending CocoFEST and watch Brett's Fuzix
presentation.

As you mentioned, lot's of development tools are available.  I'll add a
good amount of those.

Only looking for a good base to start with.  I'm hoping other's will chime
in with suggestions, etc..  We will need a way to distribute and provide
some initial documentation.

I'm actually taking this a step further and looking to embed the RPi3 into
a spare Coco 3 case.  Chris Hawks did all the hard work and used a Teensy
2.0 controller (inexpensive) to connect a real Coco 3 keyboard to the RPi.
I don't know if anyone else would be interested in that, but wanted to try
it nonetheless.  It would be even neater to attach the RPi3 to a small
motherboard to mount in the case and find a way to add a Coco power switch
and even Coco joystick DIN plugs in the factory locations.  The joystick
ports could be connected to the RPi using Jayeson's USB to Coco joystick
adapters or perhaps one from Darren (on Facebook) if he decides to produce
one.  Power cord can exit out the same case hole.  Since the RPi3 supports
composite video and audio from the GPIO header, you could also add those
connections to the factory locations on the back as well.  It probably
wouldn't make much sense to route HDMI at the bottom of the case where the
RGB connection is.  I would like to do all of this without cutting up the
Coco 3 case (which should not be a problem).  Anyway, this is just
something I'm tinkering with...

-Ron