[Coco] BASIC format questions (off subject)

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue Mar 14 22:57:25 EDT 2017

There are reasons for both orientations (see below).  It is not a
subject that has been well decided.  The National Electric Code has not
decided whether either way is best or safest.

  * The outlet should be oriented with the *ground pin up* because if
    the plug comes slightly loose and a metal object were to fall from
    above, the ground plug, which usually does not carry current, would
    deflect the object so that it would not hit is live prongs.  It is
    accepted that this idea began in health care facilities where many
    tools used for patient care are metal.  The story goes that
    hospitals were wired by union electricians and as the unions grew
    the practice spread to other types of buildings.
  * The outlet should be oriented with the *ground pin up* because this
    pin is longer and the plastic around the plug is meatier, so it will
    help to keep the plug inserted in the outlet.
  * The outlet should be oriented with the *ground pin down* because a
    person grabbing the outlet will have their index finger at the
    bottom side of the plug and the index finger sticks out further than
    the thumb.  Having the ground down will keep a person's index finger
    from touching the live pins.
  * The outlet should be oriented with the *ground pin down* because
    many common household items such as nightlights, timers, and battery
    chargers are oriented with the ground pin down.  In addition, GFCI
    outlets, which have text on the reset and test buttons, are oriented
    with the ground pin down (and the text readable).

Dave