[Coco] Radio shack layoffs, store closing, etc... Goodbye, and thanks for the memories?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 09:09:23 EST 2017

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 8:30 PM, Spencer via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Wow!  That's unbelievable.

The "more than McDonald's" benchmark was a fun one back then. I recall a new fast food place that opened in Lufkin, Texas that sold ONLY cold sandwiches. Can you believe it? I had driven past one in a nearby city, Nacogdoches, but never been in.

While dining at this odd restaurant, they had little signs on the tables that said "XXXX stores by YYYY". (I forget the number and year.) And I said, "That's not possible. That would be larger than McDonald's, because that's larger than Radio Shack."

I wonder how that "Subway" store turned out.

> Yeah it used to be a place my dad and I went to during the late 80s and early 90s and the stores were always crowded with people buying computers,  parts and friendly talking about shared interests.  RS was an American icon for electronics and they just sort of lost contact with how to adapt to world changes of retail and delivering what customers wanted at reasonable prices.  It's sad, but I too believe RS will be gone soon.

I recall many slow hours of no business in our strip mall, but it seemed there was always some high ticket sell every paycheck. I was the computer guy, and Doris got all the scanner sales ('cause we couldn't figure them out). We'd help each other out. It was a fun time. That really spoiled me for other retail jobs I had.

		-- A